Preparing for the ISEE
"What to Expect" for the ISEE
ERB provides "What to Expect on the ISEE" preparation materials at no cost when viewed or downloaded from our website. These materials offer parents and students the opportunity to review the types of questions presented on each level of the ISEE test.
To view or download ISEE preparation materials, click here.
Each "What to Expect on the ISEE" guide includes level-specific background information about the ISEE testing experience, including:
- Sample questions
- A full-length practice test (for Lower, Middle, and Upper levels only)
- An actual answer sheet
- A sample writing prompt
- Scoring information
- A section on understanding the Individual Student Report (ISR)
In addition, the online "What to Expect on the ISEE" guide for entrance to Grades 2-4 (Primary) includes information for these younger students about taking an online test as well as a tutorial on using a computer.
The “What to Expect on the ISEE” publications are the only books authorized by ERB as preparation materials for the ISEE. They are intended as a way for students to familiarize themselves with the test, not as a guide to receiving high scores on the ISEE.
- What to Expect on the ISEE – Primary 2 (Applicants to Grade 2)
- What to Expect on the ISEE – Primary 3 (Applicants to Grade 3)
- What to Expect on the ISEE – Primary 4 (Applicants to Grade 4)
- What to Expect on the ISEE – Lower Level (Applicants to Grades 5 and 6)
- What to Expect on the ISEE – Middle Level (Applicants to Grades 7 and 8)
- What to Expect on the ISEE – Upper Level (Applicants to Grades 9–12)
To view all levels online, or for a free download for Grades 5-12, please click here and choose the appropriate level. This will enable you to see what your applicant families are viewing.
The "What to Expect on the ISEE" guides for Lower, Middle, and Upper levels are also available for your office or families in hard copy format for $20 each. Simply click on this link to select your location and grade level; then select "Purchase the Book" under the GETTING STARTED section on the upper left; you may also call the ISEE Operations office at 1-800-446-0320 if you wish to place a phone order.
Please Note: These materials were written specifically for the paper/pencil version of the test, and are applicable for the online version of the test as well, with minimal exceptions.